One day you will graduate (really!) and someone will look up to you for advice.
Here are five ways you can be a better mentor.
- Ask better questions. Mentors just don't provide good answers, they also ask the right questions.
- Be fully present when listening. Your mentee doesn't just need advice; he or she also needs a sympathetic listener.
- Understand that the professional and personal are linked. Sometimes personal lives affect professional lives.
- Truly listen. By truly listening, you can articulate your mentee's thoughts back to him or her so that s/he can clearly see the situation.
- Demand accountability. You're not just there to encourage and hand hold, your must also expect your mentee to meet set goals.
For more on this topic, read the Time article by Rick Wartzman, "5 Secrets to Being a Great Mentor-From Someone Mentored by the Best."