The UCSB Graduate Division is currently accepting applications for its Diversity and Outreach Graduate Peer Advisor position for the 2014-15 academic year. This position may be extended.
The Diversity and Outreach Peer Advisor assists in the development and implementation of various outreach and recruitment program events which are designed to cultivate a highly qualified and diverse pool of graduate school applicants. The Diversity and Outreach Peer Advisor also assists in fostering and maintaining an environment at UCSB that values and supports diversity. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide advice and assistance to current and prospective graduate students.
- Manage prospective individual student and university program visits (i.e. McNair Scholars Program)
- Give department specific presentations on UCSB resources.
- Provide administrative support and student mentoring for The California Forum for Diversity in Graduate Education (Hosted by UCSB, Fall 2015), and Graduate Division sponsored summer undergraduate research programs: the Academic Research Consortium, CSU Sally Casanova program, and UC LEADS.
- Facilitate graduate school preparation workshops for undergraduates interested in pursuing graduate study at UCSB.
- Compile surveys, data, and program information.
- Contribute articles and announcements to the Graduate Post on diversity and outreach related themes, as well as more general topics related to graduate education.
- Develop programming for current graduate students that promotes and supports diversity.
- Assist with campus-wide events and programming, including the Graduate Student Showcase and New Student Orientation.
The Diversity and Outreach Peer Advisor also holds drop-in office hours at the Graduate Student Resource Center (GSRC) and works collaboratively with other peer advisors on workshops and events sponsored through the GSRC. The Peer Advisor responds to student requests for information or assistance and makes referrals as needed.
PAYMENT: $16 per hour, plus fee payment equivalent to at least a 25% TA-ship
HOURS: 10 to 16 hours weekly (25%-40% appointment) during the academic year
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, Nov. 14, 2014
- Has completed at least one year of graduate study at UCSB, is in good academic standing, is within university time-to-degree standards, and meets all other standard student employment eligibility requirements.
- Is energetic, demonstrates organizational abilities, knowledgeable about the UCSB campus, and has good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Can represent graduate student interests and concerns, and is attentive to the goals of excellence and diversity in UCSB’s graduate education.
- Knowledge of and interest in social media as a service to the graduate student population.
Previous experience in advising, Microsoft Excel software, and workshop or conference planning is preferred, although training will be provided.
Additional Benefits: With the appropriate eligibility and approval, position(s) may be combined with a GSR or TA position, as long as the combined hours do not exceed a 75% appointment. Graduate Division will pay partial fees and graduate student health insurance equivalent to those provided for TAs if other student academic appointments or awards do not provide these fees.
Application Process: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter indicating interests and highlighting related experiences, along with a formal resume via email to Walter Boggan (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate Division.