Are you in the midst of your dissertation and in need of more structure and inspiration? Would you like to make some serious progress on your dissertation this summer? Then you should consider applying to the 2015 Intensive Dissertation Writing Retreat, co-sponsored by the Graduate Division and Summer Sessions.
Many writers lose steam after completing the first chapter of their dissertation, and progress can slow tremendously. The Intensive Dissertation Writing Retreat is a free four-day writing workshop aimed at helping Ph.D. students in the middle stages of their dissertation process by providing intensive writing times, breakout sessions with a facilitator on typical dissertation issues (including dealing with procrastination, managing research and sources, and writing to work through difficult ideas), one-on-one consultations with the facilitator, and peer consultations. Participants will gain strategies and tools to create positive writing habits and thus become more efficient and productive writers.
The Intensive Dissertation Writing Retreat is open to doctoral students from all disciplines and will take place Monday, Sept. 14, through Thursday, Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (location TBA). You are eligible to apply if you are a Ph.D. student who:
- Has advanced to candidacy
- Has completed a chapter of your dissertation
- Is committed to attending all sessions of the Writing Retreat
The application process for the Writing Retreat will open Monday, Aug. 17, and close Friday, Aug. 28. A reminder notification will be sent out once the application process opens. Interested students will need to complete a short application that includes the following information:
- A brief (approximately 150 words) description of your dissertation project
- A list of your work/progress on your research and writing up to this point
- Any obstacles you have encountered in your writing thus far
- Expectations for what you hope to accomplish during the writing retreat
- Identify specific writing issues with which you would like help
Please note: The Intensive Dissertation Writing Retreat is limited to 20 participants. Students who are selected to participate will be notified by Sept. 1.
Have questions about the Intensive Dissertation Writing Retreat? Please email Robert Hamm (email@example.com).