Career & Tools
The UCSB Transfer Student Center seeks one 50% time Graduate Student Program Assistant for a center dedicated to supporting the success of current and future transfer students. The position involves mentoring undergraduate transfer students, assisting in the development and promotion of the Center, and participating in special projects to enhance transfer student success. Application deadline has been extended to August 14th, 2019.
The UC Santa Barbara Transfer Student Center seeks one 50% time Graduate Student Program Assistant for a center dedicated to supporting the success of current and future transfer students. The UCSB Transfer Student Center supports the academic success, and well-being of UCSB's transfer students by fostering diversity, providing peer support networks, connections to the campus community, access to resources, relevant programs, and academic advising.
The graduate student hired for this position will be critical to Center operations. For example, the Graduate Student Program Assistant will provide mentoring to undergraduate transfer students, assist in the development and promotion of the Center, and participate in special projects to enhance transfer student success. Special projects include the ability to contribute and deliver new programming ideas.
- Provide mentoring to TSC peer educators and transfer students who utilize Center space and services;
- Working with the TSC Student Activities Coordinator and Director, develop and assist in the coordination of Center workshops, programs, and activities;
- Coordinates the TSC Mentoring Program with assistance from professional staff;
- Assists in developing marketing materials for the Center and managing social media platforms;
- Provide updates and engages with Emma email platform, GauchoSpace, and the TSC website when necessary;
- Provide administrative support for the Center space;
- Along with the TSC Student Activities Coordinator, carry out special projects and coordinate partnerships as necessary to enhance student outcomes and academic success; and
- Assist in the continued development and promotion of the Transfer Student Center.
- Currently enrolled UCSB graduate student making normal progress towards the graduate degree as outlined by Graduate Division;
- Ability to demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity and interact with diverse populations;
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects;
- Knowledge of campus departments/units and resources;
- Ability to work 50% time (20 hours) between 9 am - 5 pm with occasional evening hours; and
- Ability to attend weekly staff meetings.
- Extensive experience working with undergraduate students;
- Experience with Microsoft and Google Suite, graphic design software and marketing;
- Knowledge and understanding of transfer student experiences and a passion for promoting access and equity in higher education; and
- Former undergraduate transfer student.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Compensation and Title:
- Hourly Rate: $21/ hour
- Working Title: Program Assistant*
*Please note that this payroll title does not qualify you for fee remission.
A completed application packet includes:
• Cover letter
• Curriculum vitae (most recently updated)
• List of 3 references (name, relationship, and contact information only)
Please submit your completed application in the order above as a single PDF and emailed with "TSC Graduate Student Program Assistant" subject line to:
Consideration for applicants will close on Aug â14th, 2019, by 5pm PST.